Research is revealing just how critical sleep really is.
A recent article in the Huffington post proclaimed, One Habit Can Make You Richer, Thinner, Smarter and Happier.
That habit? Sleep.
For starters, whatever diet plan you are on works better, if you are getting sufficient sleep. You are more likely to be able to lose weight and maintain a healthy weight when you are sleeping well. You secrete fewer stress hormones.
Your Body Won’t Work if You Don’t Sleep Well!
Your Brain Just Works Better
Our brains neurons need a chance to rest and recharge at night. Memory, focus and concentration are better with a well rested brain.
Bigger Bucks for Longer Snoozers
Poor people sleep poorly. One study concluded that adults below the poverty line were over 50% more likely to report insomnia than middle class and wealthy adults. Specifically, the National Center for Health Statistics advised:
During 2012, the percentage of adults aged 18 years or older who reported that they regularly had insomnia or trouble sleeping during the past 12 months ranged from 15.8 percent for those with family incomes more than 400 percent of the poverty level to 24.8 percent for those with family incomes under 100 percent of the poverty level. For both men and women, the percentage who regularly had insomnia or trouble sleeping decreased as family income increased.
Tips for Better Sleep
- Sleep in total darkness. Try to get curtains that block out all light.
- Get electronics out of the bedroom, especially don’t sleep with electronics near your head.
- Sleep grounded with an earthing sheet.
- Turn off TV, computer, and other electronics an hour or so before bed and have a wind down, chill out period, before hitting the sack.
- Try relaxing herbal tea, such as chamomile, valerian or hops.
- Be sure to have sufficient magnesium in your diet. This helps with relaxation.
- No caffeine after lunchtime.
Please share any tips you have for getting a better nights sleep. Use the comment box below, Thanks.