Dr. Andrew Weil sums up a great diet in just 8 minutes.
My favorite healthy diet tip is this, eat more fresh foods.
I especially like to use fresh herbs to flavor my foods. This is a great way to make your food taste better and be better for you. Many herbs are filled with anti oxidants, alkalizing minerals and nutrients science has yet to explore.
How to Eat: The Anti-Inflammatory Diet
A Really Healthy Anti-Inflammatory Diet
- Eat a variety of foods. Our ancestors ate a much greater variety of foods than we do today. Eating a wide variety of foods helps to cover the nutritional spectrum. Also you don’t get too much of something that is not good for you.
- Eat as much fresh food as possible. Stop eating refined, processed and manufactured food.
- To lose weight – stop eating flour and sugar
- Fruits and vegetables are loaded with highly protective phyto-nutrients
- Eat a good distribution of fat, carbs and protein
- Reduce high glycemic carbohydrates
- Eat smaller servings of pasta and eat in moderation. I rarely eat pasta and when I do it is a gluten free version, such as brown rice pasta. Cook it al dente – don’t overcook it.
- Avoid products made with high fructose corn syrup. It is a marker of low quality food.
- Saturated fat is not the devil. Enjoy some food containing saturated fats in moderation.
- Olive oil is awesome, but I personally would not use it in cooking. Coconut oil is more stable at high temperatures.
- Avocados, nuts and nut butters are excellent source of healthy fats and other good nutrients.
- Sockeye salmon is a great source of omega 3 fatty acids
- Here is one point I disagree with Dr. Weil. Soy is not a health food. Small amounts occasionally may be ok for some. Refer to this list of articles for the truth about soy. http://soy.mercola.com/
- Avoid GMOs, Genetically modified foods
- Eat across the color spectrum a rainbow of food colors
- Mushrooms are good
- Berries are some of the best fruits. They have a low glycemic load, which means they won’t spike your blood sugar like a banana or pineapple could.
- If you are a coffee drinker, try to replace some of it with tea.
- If you drink alcohol, red wine is best