Dr. Weil M.D. is Right On, Mostly

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

Alkaline DietDr. Andrew Weil sums up a great diet in just 8 minutes.

My favorite healthy diet tip is this, eat more fresh foods.

I especially like to use fresh herbs to flavor my foods. This is a great way to make your food taste better and be better for you. Many herbs are filled with anti oxidants, alkalizing minerals and nutrients science has yet to explore.

How to Eat: The Anti-Inflammatory Diet

A Really Healthy Anti-Inflammatory Diet

• Eat a variety of foods. Our ancestors ate a much greater variety of foods than we do today. Eating a wide variety of foods helps to cover the nutritional spectrum. Also you don’t get too much of something that is not good for you.
  • Eat as much fresh food as possible. Stop eating refined, processed and manufactured food.
  • To lose weight – stop eating flour and sugar
  • Fruits and vegetables are loaded with highly protective phyto-nutrients
  • Eat a good distribution of fat, carbs and protein
  • Reduce high glycemic carbohydrates
  • Eat smaller servings of pasta and eat in moderation. I rarely eat pasta and when I do it is a gluten free version, such as brown rice pasta. Cook it al dente – don’t overcook it.
  • Avoid products made with high fructose corn syrup. It is a marker of low quality food.
  • Saturated fat is not the devil. Enjoy some food containing saturated fats in moderation.
  • Olive oil is awesome, but I personally would not use it in cooking. Coconut oil is more stable at high temperatures.
  • Avocados, nuts and nut butters are excellent source of healthy fats and other good nutrients.
  • Sockeye salmon is a great source of omega 3 fatty acids
  • Here is one point I disagree with Dr. Weil. Soy is not a health food. Small amounts occasionally may be ok for some. Refer to this list of articles for the truth about soy. http://soy.mercola.com/
  • Avoid GMOs, Genetically modified foods
  • Eat across the color spectrum a rainbow of food colors
  • Mushrooms are good
  • Berries are some of the best fruits. They have a low glycemic load, which means they won’t spike your blood sugar like a banana or pineapple could.
  • If you are a coffee drinker, try to replace some of it with tea.
  • If you drink alcohol, red wine is best

We would love to know if you agree of disagree with these diet ideas. Please use the comment box below to share your opinion.

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

12 thoughts on “Dr. Weil M.D. is Right On, Mostly

• February 9, 2018 at 7:24 pm

I drop a comment when I like a article on a site or if I have something to valuable to contribute to the discussion. It’s caused by the
    sincerness displayed in the post I looked at.
    And after this article Dr. Weil M.D. is Right On, Mostly – AlkalineHealth.net.
    I was excited enough to drop a thought 😛 I do have a couple of
    questions for you if it’s allright. Is it only me or
    do some of the comments look like they are left by brain dead people?

😛 And, if you are posting at additional online social sites, I would
    like to follow anything new you have to post.

Would you list the complete urls of all your community sites like
    your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?

• June 17, 2015 at 11:48 am

Blueberries “will not spike your blood sugar like bananas” is incorrect from the standpoint that they both have very similar GI’s. According to every single source I have seem , both fruits are considered low GI foods i.e.. under 55. Also, I am not so sure white bread is what the scale of GI revolves around. Probably glucose…

• Pingback: It’s Been Called a Pure Healing Superfood | Alkaline Diet Plan and Health

• July 9, 2013 at 6:02 am

Vegetarians vary in their feelings regarding these ingredients, however. For example, while some vegetarians may be unaware of animal-derived rennet’s role in the usual production of cheese and may therefore unknowingly consume the product,[*:,..

Up to date posting on our personal webpage <http://www.picturesofherpes.co/index.php

• March 1, 2013 at 2:18 pm

soya foods are good for you. they are good sources of protein and fat. enriched soya milk is a great milk substitute as it is loaded with calcium and b vitamines. why do some people say that soya foods are bad for your health? of course, too much of anything is not good for you, but used in moderation, soya foods can contribute to a healthy diet 🙂

• February 23, 2013 at 11:41 pm

I definitely agree with this way of eating. I was raised poor, log home in the back country with wood heat and running water (running past the house in a creek) We had goats for farm animals and raised lots of our own food. My mother was a trained home ec teacher so she knew what we needed–lots of vegetables and what fruit we could raise. I was very healthy until I began to get interested in new ideas and decided to adopt the pritikin diet. Of course I ate lots and lots of grains and slowly but surely my health took a big hit. I gained weight, developed gluten intolerance, (which no doctor recognized) many allergies, particularly to grasses and weeds, and many more problems too numerous to list. I continued with these many problems until I took responsibility for my own health. I have researched and researched. When I had terrible digestive problems, the doctor prescribed prevacid. I took it for a few days and it felt great. However, i was skeptical –too good to be true– My research told me I would exchange a stomach problem for osteoporosis. So on my own I finally gave up grains. And from then on, I have been adjusting my diet to what works for me and the above diet works well for me except that I can’t do most dairy nor coffee. And now I am healthy as long as I eat what I know is right for me. I am 77 years old and healthy as a horse.

• February 23, 2013 at 11:25 pm

I completely agree…. have followed Dr Weil for years……

• February 23, 2013 at 9:45 pm

I wholeheartedly agree with this diet, except I don’t believe we should cut down meat, but cut it out almost completely! I had 5 cardiac bypasses in 1993 and have since collected 30 stents, but I am doing so much better since changing to a mostly vegetarian or even vegan diet last year.

• February 23, 2013 at 7:31 pm

California’s Article 65 – 6-22, 2012 – lists Coconut Oil Diethanolamine condonsale (cocamide Diethanolamine) CANCER Causing File Number 68603-42-9. Is that a problem.

Next the word anti-oxidant has no definition and should never be used in a discussion. Now if you are talking ORP the potential to reduce oxidation is easy to measure as soda +400 range, Gatorade etc +360-+400, Tap water +360 bottled water +280 area and vitamin C -50 Green tea -85 and Cod Liver Oil -200 and then Kangen Water -400 to -800 depending on the water source, so which is anti aging?

He talks alkaline and ignores God’s alkaline water and Kangen. The Japanese live longest and drink the most alkaline water per person.

Was Dr. Weil ever threatened by anyone to stop talking healthy about alkaline?

• March 1, 2013 at 2:48 pm

i don’t think california article 65 – 6-22 is a problem b/c coconut oil must be mixed with a chemical that is not produced by the human body, diethanolamine, in order to become carcinogenic.