There is something special about eating beautiful food.
Colors generally equate to antioxidants in the plant kingdom.
Edible flowers can be a good source of vitamin C and other nutrients. See a list of some of the best edible flowers below. After researching this topic, I found many that are already growing in my garden, that I did not know about.
Edible Flowers, Grow Beauty and Eat It
More about edible herbs, video with Bob Johnson from Herbfest:
Garlic chives add spice and color to your food.
These are really easy to grow.
Now is the time to plant some edible flowers in your own garden.
Check out this salad with borage, nasturtium and chive flowers. Adds nice color and good flavor.
Also too some good nutrients.
List of Some of the Best Edible Flowers
- Arugula, nutty, spicy, peppery flavor
- Basil, hints of lemon, thyme, jasmine, clove, cinnamon, and anise.
- Ceylon spinach
- Borage flowers, mild cucumber flavor, gamma-linolenic acid (GLA)
- Calendula, spicy, tangy, peppery
- Chamomile, faint apple flavor, relaxing, may aid in sleep and reducing stress.
- Chives, mild onion flavor
- Dandelion, why fight this weed, just eat it!
- Brassica family flowers, kale, broccoli
- Cilantro flowers
- Celery flowers
- Squash blossoms
- Viola, sweet nectar
There are many more edible flowers, these are some of the tastiest and most colorful. You should always do your own research before you eat something, if you are not sure what it is or how your body will react to it. Some people have allergies to some of these flowers.
A google search for edible flowers will turn up all kinds of info and photos. I’m sharing some good resources below.