This type of exercise puts your body in the fat burning zone for about 36 hours after the workout.
And it takes less time. For me that’s a winner.
With High Intensity Interval Training, one only needs to workout 2-3 times per week for about 20 minutes. This type of exercise is also great for anti-aging because it creates less oxidative stress AND triggers the body to release it’s own natural growth hormone. This help to burn fat and build muscle.
Best exercise to increase growth hormone and testosterone naturally anti-aging gh
There are many different variations of this workout. If you do a search on YouTube or Google you will find a lot of different workout schemes.
High Intensity Interval Training can be used in combination with a lot of different types of exercise; running, biking, elliptical, weight training, – just use your imagination. I like to do it outdoors at the park using the fitness trail equipment.
You could even do this playing a game of tag. Think about it, this is the way most children play and most sports are played. Short bursts of intense all out movement, followed by a lighter recovery period. In football, you run the play, then jog back to the huddle.
In general this is how it’s done
- Start by warming up really good. This is important to prevent injury. Being 51 years old, I take a little extra time to warm up.
- Then do a series of 15 – 30 second bursts. Exercise as hard as you can during this time. You should be breathing hard and barely able to talk. I don’t use a timer at all, I just guesstimate somewhere between 15 and 30 seconds.
- Between each high intensity interval there is a recovery period of 30 seconds to 2 minutes. During this time just do much lighter movements. Again, I don’t use a timer. I just go easy until I feel recovered from the previous burst.
- Rinse and repeat up to 8 times. Continue to cycle through; 15-60 seconds high intensity, followed by a recovery period. Some days I only do 3 – 4 cycles, if I am feeling overly stressed or tired.
- You should NOT do this type of exercise everyday. 3 times per week max. There is no added benefit to doing this type of exercise more frequently, in fact the opposite. The body needs time to recover between sessions. This is where you rebuild muscle and the body gets stronger.
- If you you want to do something on the other days of the week, do something lighter, like go for a walk, do yoga, QiGong or a casual bike ride.
It is important to consult with your personal health care provider before making changes to your exercise program. This type of exercise could be harmful for people with certain medical conditions.
It is also a good idea to work with a personal trainer to make sure you have good form and are doing exercise correctly.