Having a healthy digestive system can have a profound impact on the entire body and mind as well.
Today we have some simple tips for helping out the gut ecosystem. And positive changes can take place quickly, in a matter of a few days.
Yet another great reason to eat the alkaline diet way.
How to Make Happy Gut Bacteria
Scientists are just scratching the surface when it comes to studying the gut microbiome, in other words the bacteria that are natural residents of our digestive tracts.
Here are some of the benefits of having good healthy gut bacteria talked about in this video
- Regulators of the immune system
- Produce neurotransmitters (brain chemicals critical to thinking, sleep and mood)
- Control gene expression in the liver that determines metabolism (would love to learn more about this)
- Bolster the health of the digestive system
Most people have heard about probiotics, or healthy gut bacteria. Yogurt was one of the first popular probiotic foods that people learned about. Probiotic rich foods have been around a lot longer than that though. Fermented foods like sauerkraut and Kim-chi are rich in probiotcs (if not pasteurized or cooked).
Help Out Your Probiotcs
So you can help out the living community, simply be changing what you eat. Most of the suggestions in this video fall right in line with the alkaline diet. So one more great reason to eat alkaline!
- Eat more vegetables and moderate fruits
- Reduce alcohol
- Good fiber, from veggie and fruit sources
- Omega 3 fats like DHA and EPA found in cold water fish and grass fed animals.
- Fermented foods are amazing
- Reduce grains ,especially gluten containing grains
The key is to feed your gut bacteria good stuff!
Thanks to the Sarah Ballantyne, PhD, the Paleo Mom for this video and the great information.
Here is an article from Scientific American with more info on promoting good gut bacteria with food and how quick it can happen.