Dr. Mark Hyman is a brilliant doctor.
He gives us some excellent advice on how to build a better brain.
Which can equate to more happiness, better mood and sharper thinking. All of which are good. And much of what he recommends falls right in line with the alkaline diet.
Read a summary of his brain boosting ideas below, including changing the oil in your diet.
The UltraMind Solution: Key #1 – Optimize Nutrition
Dr. Mark Hyman Brain Boosting Ideas (my paraphrase)
- The most powerful tool you have to fix your brain is your fork. It’s what you eat that makes the biggest difference.
- Get an oil change. Eat more omega 3 containing foods, especially those high in EPA and DHA, like cold water seafood.
- Omega 3’s are critical for normal cell and brain function. The brain is supposed to contain up to 60% omega 3 fatty acids.
- Consume less omega 6 oils to get the balance of healthy fats right. These include soy, corn and vegetable oils (often genetically modified)
- Other signs of omega 3 deficiency, besides depression, fatigue and brain fog include; dry patchy skin, hard ear wax, – cracked, soft, or brittle nails.
- Address serotonin deficiency.
- Avoid too much sugar and foods that contain other sweeteners of too many carbs
- Avoid toxins such as mercury, pesticides and artificial ingredients found in many junk foods
- Eliminate sodas diet and regular
- Be careful with alcohol intake, especially those that may be high in carbs like beer, wine, flavored liquors
- Check for food allergies and sensitivities
- Check for nutritional deficiencies, including B vitamins, choline, omega 3, vitamin D, chromium
- Eat whole fresh foods, like fruits and vegetables. Similar to those that are part of the alkaline diet.
- Look for underlying imbalances in diet, hormones, and lifestyle issues.
Check out some of the brain wellness success stories Dr. Mark shares in this video. They are very inspiring. Some of the people he talks about had serious mental conditions including depression, anxiety, poor cognitive function, bad moods and more.
Check out his book, the UltraMind Solution for more information.
As always, nothing we say should be considered as medical advice. Never stop antidepressant or other medication without your doctors approval.[ad name=”teacup”]